TITLE – The Color of Vengeance SERIES – The Dragon's Dove Chronicles (standalone excerpt from Book 2, Morning's Journey) AUTHOR – Kim Iverson Headlee GENRE – Early Medieval Historical Fiction PUBLICATION DATE – August 2013 LENGTH (Pages/# Words) – 5K words PUBLISHER – Lucky Bat Books COVER ARTIST – Cherry Tigris
Vengeance was the only burial gift he could bestow.
When Angli cattle thieves slaughter his wife and son, Dwras son of Gwyn vows revenge upon their murderers. But how can a mere farmer prevail against ruthless, trained warriors? For the answer Dwras must look not to his sword, but within his heart.
- “Excuse me, I speak jive.” (Barbara Billingsly as “Jive Lady”, Airplane!)
- “No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow.” (Claudia Christian as “Commander Susan Ivanova”, Babylon 5)
- “Only fools never doubt.” (Richard Harris as “King Arthur”, Camelot)
- “The difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to make sense.” (Tom Clancy, riffing on a similar sentiment offered by Mark Twain)
- “Help me help you!” (Tom Cruise as the titular character of Jerry McGuire)
- “The cure for being sad is to learn something.” (Laurence Naismith as “Merlyn”, Camelot)
- “One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives.” (Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson)
- “For it is the doom of men that they forget.” (Nicol Williamson as “Merlin”, Excalibur)
- “The pen is mightier than… well, everything.” (Patrick Fischler as “The Author/Isaac Heller”, Once Upon a Time)
- “I am a writer. I give the truth scope.” (Paul Bettany as “Geoffrey Chaucer”, A Knight’s Tale)
My Top 10 Favorite Books
OMG, asking an author to create a list of top 10 favorite books is like asking a foodie to pick her top 10 favorite dishes! I have selected these works because they have inspired my fiction writing in one way or another over the decades, and they are listed in the order in which they occurred to me, not according to literary merit.
- The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart
- Firelord by Parke Godwin
- The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court by Mark Twain
- Le Morte d’Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory
- The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
- The Writer’s Journey by Christopher Vogler
- Tailchaser’s Song by Tad Williams
- Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
- Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie
BUY & TBR LINKS
AMAZON KINDLE US FREE download – AMAZON KINDLE CA – AMAZON KINDLE UK – AMAZON KINDLE AU – IBOOKS FREE download – ITUNES (Audiobook) – KOBO FREE download – SMASHWORDS FREE download – AMAZON US (Audiobook) – Audible (Audiobook; FREE with an Audible subscription) – GOODREADS
Dwras jabbed the offending warrior on the shoulder. With a grunt, the man swung his head around to fix narrow eyes upon him.
“What d’ye want?”
“My seat. I want it back.” Dwras lowered his eyebrows. “Now!”
“You—what?” The Lothian warrior’s laughter nearly made him choke. A grinning companion slapped his back.
“Oho, Farmer Dwras thinks he’s one of us, lads,” chortled another warrior, making a shooing motion. “Be off with you! Back to your pigs, farmer boy.”
They burst into cackles, hoots, and hog calls. Dwras felt his cheeks flush.
The warrior in Dwras’s seat found himself buried under sops and ale.
“My mistake, sir.” He grinned devilishly. “I thought this was the sty.”
Kim Headlee lives on a farm in southwestern Virginia with her family, cats, goats, Great Pyrenees goat guards, and assorted wildlife. People and creatures come and go, but the cave and the 250-year-old house ruins—the latter having been occupied as recently as the mid-twentieth century—seem to be sticking around for a while yet.
Kim is a Seattle native and a direct descendent of twentieth-century Russian nobility. Her grandmother was a childhood friend of the doomed Grand Duchess Anastasia, and the romantic yet tragic story of how Lydia escaped Communist Russia with the aid of her American husband will most certainly one day fuel one of Kim’s novels. Another novel in the queue will involve her husband’s ancestor, the seventh-century proto-Viking king of the Swedish colony in Russia.
For the time being, however, Kim has plenty of work to do in creating her projected 8-book Arthurian series, The Dragon’s Dove Chronicles, and other novels under her imprint, Pendragon Cove Press. She has been a published novelist since 1999, beginning with the original editions of Dawnflight (Sonnet Books, Simon & Schuster, ISBN 0671020412) and Liberty (writing as Kimberly Iverson, HQN Books, Harlequin, ISBN 0373771347).
AUTHOR FOLLOW LINKS
ABOUT.ME PAGE – AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE – AUTHORGRAPH AUTHOR PAGE – WEBSITE – ACEBOOK – Street Team “Kim’s All-Stars” – TWITTER – GOOGLE+ – PINTEREST – LINKEDIN – BLOG – TRIBERR PROFILE – ARTHURVERSE TRIBERR TRIBE – GOODREADS – YOUTUBE CHANNEL
INTERNATIONAL: 5 Audiobook download copies 10 note cards